SEASON 1 RECAP
What we liked:
- Every use of technology. Every time a picture is enhanced, beards are added to police sketches, screenshots are actual polaroids of the tv, no one uses a mouse - they just type and computers do things and sometimes become sentient, and the utter fear of “computer viruses”
- Scully’s baggy jackets and endless supply of Power-Suits. She is swallowed in fabric.
- The beginnings of everything - introductions of characters we know are going to become important like The Lone Gunmen, Skinner, Cigarette Smoking Man.
- Special effects hold up, we promise. They bend Vancouver into a lot of places, especially a pine-lined highway.
- Basically, everything still holds up. This is not a chore and we’ve found things to like in every single episode, except for Shapes (the Native American werewolf episode).
What we disliked:
- Over reliance on ghosts on being the answer to everything. There’s endless paranormal topics, yet Season One loved to explain away everything on the dead. Beyond The Sea nailed it and the rest are just trying to remake that magic.
- They are too stuck in the roles at this point. Scully sees far too many things to remain the staunch skeptic she appears to be this season. How many times can she fall down just as the alien is going to appear? She sees her dead father and holds an alien fetus, yet through short term amnesia or bad-writing continues to be the anti-Mulder until the last scene of the season finale.
- Tooms is dead! (or is he?!…. no, he is.)
Tooms is dead. But we are STILL WATCHING.